How To Replace a Naturalization Certificate

A Certificate of Naturalization is a document that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service issues as proof that a person has been granted citizenship.If the certificate is lost or stolen, you can replace it by completing a form and mailing it to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.If there is a clerical error or you have legally changed your name, you can replace the certificate.

Step 1: You can replace a certificate if you know why.

There are a lot of reasons you can get a replacement certificate.If your certificate is lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can get a replacement.Unless the wrong birthdate was entered, you can’t change a date of birth.Legal name change is one of the legitimate reasons for requesting a new certificate.

Step 2: Information should be gathered.

You need to give certain information in order to get a replacement certificate.Information on how the original certificate was lost, stolen, or destroyed should be gathered before you sit down to complete your form.

Step 3: Have your pictures taken.

You will need to submit two identical photographs for your application.They should be taken within 30 days of the application being filed.The photographs should have a white or off-white background and be printed with a glossy finish on thin paper.Do not change the photographs.2”x2” is the minimum size for passport-style photographs.You are allowed to wear a headdress for religious reasons if it doesn’t cover your face.You should use a pencil or felt pen to write your name and A- Number on the back of the photograph.

Step 4: You can get the form.

To request a replacement certificate, you will need to use form N-565.The form can be downloaded from the website at can request a form by calling.The special instructions are available at instructions will tell you where to file the form.

Step 5: Go ahead and complete the form.

You can use black ink to type the form online or print it off.If you have someone else prepare the form for you, you will need to provide contact information.You can attach an extra sheet if you need more space to explain something.You should write your name and Alien registration number at the top of each sheet.Your answer refers to the part and item number of the form.Sign the additional sheets.If you are applying for a name change, you will need to attach your certificate.Attach a copy of the marriage certificate or court order showing the name change if you are applying for a new certificate.If applicable, attach proof of gender change.

Step 6: Put the form in the mail.

You should make a copy of your application.The form should be sent to the correct address.There are two Service Centers for the entire nation, one in Texas and the other in Nebraska.The state you live in will affect which one you mail to.Check the instructions to find out which center you should file with.

Step 7: You have to pay the filing fee.

Unless you are requesting a replacement in order to correct an error, a fee of $345 is required.You should make your check or money order out to the U.S.The full name of the Department of Homeland Security should be spelled out.

Step 8: If additional information is requested, give it.

The application will be reviewed after you submit it.Additional information or documents can be requested by the agency.You may be asked to come to an office for an interview.

Step 9: Wait for the decision.

The new certificate will be issued if approved.The reason for the denial will be explained in a written notification.